Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Sad Month March was


It's been such a long time since I posted- and now you get two in one night.


At the end of February I was very sick- bronchitis or pneumonia - lots of Rocephin shots and oral antibiotics. It was a rough week.

On February 28th- my Daddy went into the hospital and was very sick. He has had COPD for years and pneumonia is hard for him. On March 1st- my Mom called me to tell me that the doctors had told her that it was time to talk about Hospice. It is always a hard talk to have with patients and/or their families- and I am thankful that my Dad's doctors took the time to address it with her. Some doctors don't- and those families miss so much.

We moved my Daddy to hospice. Hospice of the Comforter. I had worked for hospice- that one and several others- in the past and while I *knew* how important and how wonderful the nurses/staff were- it's not like *knowing* because they are so important and wonderful to you.

Daddy died on March 4th. He was surrounded by his family and friends. Many of the most important people in his life had the opportunity to say good- bye and share stories with the family. He was able to see his grandchildren, he was able to see his brothers and sisters. He was not able to talk to us- but he was able to understand what we were saying. It was a true blessing. When the girls climbed up on the bed and kissed his cheek and said good bye- and I love you Poppy- he smiled.

This has been so hard- hard to wake up some days knowing he won't ever call me "little girl" again. I won't get to hear his political views (which mine are so like) and no being able to call him for advice- on anything. I know that he is in a good place- and I know that he is not suffering- but I miss him.

Don't take your family and friends for granted- you just never know. I know my Dad knew I loved him, and I have no doubt that he loved me- we had a great relationship.


My Dad was a great person- he was opinionated and stubborn- but he was lots of fun and for all his huff and puff- he was a softy inside. Most importantly he was loved! He will be missed forever.

3 comments:

Chris H said...

How sad your Dad passed away... you are so very lucky that you got the chance to spend some time with him and say 'goodbye' ....
My Dad drowned 10 years ago now. No goodbyes.

But I do believe they are in a better place.

Aus said...

Aww we're so sorry for you loss! We know all too well how hard it is to not have them there - it leaves a gap in our lives!

It also sound like he was a lot like some of the folks in our lives - they really are a marshmallow in a shell! ;)

We'll hold you guys (and him) in our prayers - hope you find your peace quickly!

hugs - aus and co.

karin said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Even only meeting him 1 time 2 years ago, It was evident what a good man, father, husband, and grandfather he was... and his polital views were evident in his shirt that day :)
much love to you and your family.

Karin